Thursday, October 25, 2012

Summer Bounty


So....summer may be over, but here in Los Angeles, the heat always comes and goes...
Anybody who is lucky enough to have even a small plot of land to grow fruits and vegetables can enjoy their bounty year-round. And even though we hit some remarkably high summer temps (sometimes reaching 104F), I would say I did okay with my small, humble crop this year....
Making use of the most sunny spots, I ended up planting about 12 tomato plants, 6 eggplant plants, a couple  Italian zucchini plants, dozen bell peppers, a variety of herbs,  and towards the end of the season, some pepper plants such as jalapeno, habanero, etc....the tastiest and juiciest of them all, hands-down, was the heirloom tomato varieties (Green zebra, Cherokee purple). From my harvest,  I was proud to give some fruit to friends and family. The rest I used for my sheer palate pleasures, or to use in experimental recipes.
Now, I look forward to selecting seeds for winter planting....more to come...
 On a good summer day...

No comments:

Post a Comment