Thursday, November 29, 2012

Transforming Winter "Blues" to Winter "Greens"

This time of year is usually associated with cozy, indoor activities like cooking hearty dishes, curling up with a good book, or snuggling with a partner over classic movies. But it can also be the season of the blues, the "winter blues", those feelings that are so famously sung about, and that discourage one from getting out and doing those things we left behind in the summer.  Yet, during these shorter, colder days, with a little bit of work and creativity, the winter blues can be transformed into winter greens!  All you need is a little inspiration, a planting guide to winter edibles, and the curiosity of a kid.

This is the first year I try my hand at winter gardening, and there was nothing terribly detailed about my plan. I simply pulled out my dried out summer plants, amended those spots with organic compost mix, and reassessed the sunniest spaces where I  can maximize growth. I cheated a bit by buying a few seedlings from my favorite nursery (like the cabbages, spinach, broccoli), just because I had a late start this season. However I decided that my root veggies (carrots, onions, beets), as well as my lettuces,  will be started from seed.  This is still a work  in progress as the planting will be in various stages.

Next to the bell peppers, some space for 2 spinach plants

Where the tomatoes once occupied; Broccoli, and two kinds of cabbage
A spot with amended soil, where carrots will soon befriend hot peppers

There's something invigorating about putting your hands in soil, no matter the season.  Here I built a 4x4 planting box, leaving the bottom open to concrete, and filled it with premium organic potting soil. I laid down 4 rows of organic and non-organic seeds: arugula, swiss chard, broccoli raab, and leafy lettuce. Can't wait to see what grows!



Finally, who said you even need any horizontal ground space to grow edibles?
Thanks to innovators and "outside the box" thinkers like this guy who posted a video on how to plant 'vertically', nothing is impossible. For those who have smaller spaces and resources to contend with, here is a fantastically creative way to grow an edible plant.





No comments:

Post a Comment