Thursday, March 13, 2014

Food-Scaping Your Front Yard

Lately, I'm finding myself so interested in this concept, that I often talk about and explore it with my own neighbors: Growing edible plants in your front yard. The traditional way has always been in the backyard. Planning out space, turning the soil, building raised beds, these are conducive to the usually larger spaces in the back. In Los Angeles, I'm used to seeing fruit trees growing in the front yard, but can you imagine lettuce and kale? But, the more I think about it, only the sky (and the ground), is the limit, when it comes to planting seeds, and watching them grow. So why not start turning the soil, sow a few seeds, and encourage your neighbors to do the same. It's just one of the great ways to build community!

 Below is an example of a front-yard edible garden in Los Angeles. You can see kale, as well as lettuce stretching out their beautiful leaves.  What a real treat!


Source www.facebook.com/veggiegardening

No comments:

Post a Comment