Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Just in time for Halloween!

What is that?  Is it a Halloween wig?  
No.  It's corn silk. You know, that silky threadlike stuff that grows
around the ear of the corn,  like a protective buffer, nestled right in between the fruit and its husk.

The pictures below were actually taken on the same day, but represent different stages of corn husks that have been growing at their own pace. Each one is beautifully adorned with corn silk. Kinda reminds me of rocket fuel as it shoots from the tail end.  There is an entire anatomy and physiology lesson behind these guys.  But at its simplest, it is quite a marvel to look at, and knowing that these babies are not genetically altered, or grown with any pesticides, makes me happy as well :)

This is my first time growing corn. I was told it's fairly easy, though I did not believe it. I'd always associate it with farming in the midwest. Massive rows of corn in vast, pest-controlled fields. At least that's what I think when I think of places like Iowa, Oklahoma. Yes, I know, stereotypical.  But we are in the Southwest, here, and we too, have a long native tradition of growing corn. It is, after all, a Native American plant, and there are plenty of references to the indigenous people as the people of "maiz". It was their way of surviving, their staple.

  For this curious Armenian girl, though, channeling my agricultural ancestors means trying something new. Growing corn is very new to me, and I did not think these guys would make it this far, but still holding on.  Now, I pray that they will reach full maturity by Thanksgiving dinner, something authentically "garden-to-table".  What I should really pray for, is that the squirrels don't feast on them first! 











No comments:

Post a Comment