Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Harvesting Bit by Bit

When cooking from the garden one tends to feel like they have to have "just the right amount" of ingredients, in order to create a good dish.  For certain recipes, this holds true, and for baking, it is of most utmost importance.  However, in everyday casual cooking,  it is incredibly simple to improvise,  and not get hung up on 'measurements'  and quantity.

Today's example is a simple grain salad, made of a quinoa, couscous, and orzo blend that I found in the cupboard (bought at Trader Joe's).  I cooked this with chicken stock (flavor), and then added garbanzo beans that I had already sprouted (from dry), and cooked in the slow cooker overnight.

Then, out in the garden....
I was lucky to find some fresh thyme, oregano, parsley, a bit of basil, and some baby leaves of swiss chard.  So I took whatever I could find, and chopped them up to add to the salad.  Added some cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, a bit of salt, and there you have it. 

There really are no measurements here.  Just a hungry girl looking for some semi-healthy options ;) 


And always remember to give thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment