Sunday, April 12, 2015

A Head Start

I feel like I'm ahead of the game this season. These tomato plants that I actually never even planted are showing promise!   You see, earlier, around December, a good soul named Vincenzo offered me a bunch of organic material in the form of compost that I can incorporate into my soil.  This compost had partially decomposed scraps consisting of seeds, leaves, shells, and other purely organic material.  I could tell this was good stuff since red earth worms were busy doing their thing to help aerate the soil.  Unbeknownst to me, there were tiny tomato seeds invisible to the naked eye, and just about a month later I saw the sprouting of small tomato seedlings.  One by one, side by side.  A few months later, here I have the first of these babies actually giving fruit.   Usually, at this time I'm preoccupied picking out different tomato seeds, or seedlings to plant for harvesting by early summer.   In this case, I am ahead of the game, and I never even planned it.   Pretty cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment