Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Hey Sugar Baby!

Something new to my space this year.....
  Sugar Baby Watermelons. 
 
When I first planted the seedlings, I realized they would take up LOTS of space by crawling all over the ground. But I wanted to make space for a lot of other veggie plants.  So, I built my own vertical trellises. The first one I created by using 4-5 thin bamboo stakes, pushed against each other in a teepee-like shape.   Then I mounted some of my old unused garden fencing by cutting parts of the wires and wrapping the wire ends around the stakes at various levels.  Not the most sophisticated job, but when pulled and pushed, it felt strong enough.

Next, I reused more recycled materials, like an old rectangular tomato cage, and a wooden trellis, to create a 2-part climbing trellis, which rests up against the wall.   The opened tomato cage actually is flat, and hangs from the garage overhang. The creeping vines took to them quite easily with a little bit of training every day (and a few twisty ties to help them along). Once the melons get a bit heavier, I shall support them with a hanging mesh pouch to help them hang and rest a little easier.
Border fence wiring repurposed to wrap around a triangular vertical structure.

2-part trellis against the wall- from the ground vines can climb upward.

Training vines to climb higher than they could imagine!


Started as a tiny little baby.....


To golf-ball size,  in just under 2 weeks..... 

Now the other flowers are inspired to fruit.....

Another view of the upcoming sugar babies.....

No comments:

Post a Comment