Sunday, June 22, 2014

Squash Blossoms

Ah, the stunning beauty of yellow squash blossoms!
 
I was told that some of the easiest crops to grow during late spring and early summer,  are summer squash and zucchini. I was told they would thrive easily in our Southern California climes.  And thrive they did.  Early on, from seed, these guys were not fussy at all about sprouting in the sandier, less favorable spots of my garden. They took right away to the grounds, their striking yellow blooms a nice contrast to the fifty shades of green around them. 
 
While the squash fruit is the tasty product of this particular labor, the blossom itself can be prepared in a variety of ways. These unexpectedly gorgeous blooms kept growing faster than I can keep up with, in terms of cooking. But, here, I found a link to the different ways of cooking and eating squash blossoms:
 
This one looks like a rocket with fiery fuel behind it...

This one reminds me of a watercolor painting....




"Buzzing about"


A new patch of squash seedlings- part of my 'succession planting' efforts


No comments:

Post a Comment