Thursday, June 26, 2014

Lady, Why You Buggin?

An unprecedented infestation of aphids, spider mites, and catepillars has left me wondering this season, is this garden armageddon? or gardengeddon?  well, maybe not total obliteration just yet, but each of my tomato plants has played gracious host to these freaky little mites, while aphids seem to befriend my pepper plants at an exponential rate. And just when I thought the raised bed was safe haven for my prized possessions (eggplants, squash, and cucumbers raised from seed),  little caterpillar poops showed evidence that creepy crawlies are on the prowl.  Oh, speaking of creepies, my creeping vines(watermelons), were the only ones NOT under attack by these pesty pests.  Whew!  ....at least there is some hope I thought!

So, in keeping with the spirit of organic gardening, I resorted first to Captain Jack's spinosad spray, for the mites,  and for aphids, a colony of ladybugs, which I released early evening, (according to the directions listed on the tub they came in).

Lady bugs, do your thang!

So, lo and behold, the next day, almost all the aphids were gone!     Couldn't  say the same about the mites, but I've now moved on to neem oil, and shall see if that works better for these unmanageable critters...









No comments:

Post a Comment