Sunday, December 1, 2013

Veronica's Kitchen in 25 Days




Thanks for reading, and welcome to December!


The following section is in honor of my beautiful grandmother, Veronica, who recently passed, on October 26th, 2013, after living a very full, exciting life.

We were infinitely connected through food, grandma and I.  She nurtured through cooking and feeding family, offering her infinite wisdom and observations on the world.  Hers was a representation of all the colors and textures, flavors, and natural beauty I now see, in a whole new light.   So, over the next 25 days, leading up through Christmas,  I will highlight one food, recipe, or tradition per day that I associate with my grandmother. This is just a small tribute to Veronica.


Day 1: Armenian coffee

There is no better way to start the day than with a nice, strong cup of Armenian coffee. Sometimes called Turkish coffee, and akin to the Cuban variety, making a great cup of Armenian coffee was always the preface to bonding with girlfriends, daughters, granddaughters, in the salon, on the front porch, or even while chilling in bed. There was a time I remember fondly, when I'd watch my grandparents make this their morning ritual. Grandpa, in his long cotton terry bathrobe would produce a pair of dainty cups from the kitchen cupboard, then stand at the stove stirring the coffee to a perfect simmer, while Veronica would arrange homemade biscuits on a small tray. They'd then carry this off to the window of their guest bedroom, where they'd take a seat and listen to the birds greet them with a morning song, as they enjoyed their brew. 







A partial collection of my grandma's favorite coffee cups








Here's a nice video I found by a fellow Armenian, demonstrating how to make a traditional coffee.



No comments:

Post a Comment