Sunday, December 8, 2013

Veronica's Kitchen Day 8: Juicing


Cleaning The Gut



It used to be just freshly juiced carrot, or orange juice, or a simple lemonade. Over the years however, and with better juicers available on the market, I'd watch my grandma find new, exciting ways to juice. Any time my brother or I would spend the night at her house, by the morning we were talked into drinking a fresh juice cocktail. Of course, I'd drag my feet cause I preferred starting the morning with a cup of coffee instead.  But, over the years, I found true joy in consuming a super nutrient-packed glass of juice wonder. "Clean the gut", was Veronica's motto.  And not just in the mornings, but any time during the day, she almost had this sixth sense of when our bodies needed this medicine. She'd pop out of nowhere and ask, "Shall I make a juice for you?".

Today, I continue this simple juicing tradition even when I'm feeling uninspired, but especially when I'm feeling weary, need a push, or a ritualistic and metaphoric cleansing when I get home after a busy work day.

Juicing recipe?, you might ask.  There really is no recipe.
You can do all greens, part greens and part fruits, or all fruit juicing.  I like to stick to mostly greens with some fruit. All depends what you want out of the nutrients. The important thing is, get some juice in your body, and feel the enzymes work their magic.


Here are my favorite ratios for a good 10-ounce glass of juice:

3 parts green leaves:
  • Kale or
  • Spinach or
  • Swiss Chard  
1 part "sweetener" such as:
  • 1 apple  or
  • 1 carrot or
  • Few red grapes
1 part detoxer:
  • 2-3 Celery stalks or
  • 1 Cucumber
A deep cleanser:
  • A section of fresh ginger(peeled) or
  • Pinch of Cayenne pepper or  
  • Juice of half lemon or lime
Pretty easy! Just juice and drink away.  And while you drink it, close your eyes and visualize all of this goodness shedding a vibrant light on every cell of your body.  Imagine the juice literally helping detoxify your liver, flush out your kidneys, and give your skin a new glow.  After all, plugging your nose just won't have the same effect, but mindful conscious presence is what really counts when you eat (and drink) well.

2 comments: